Lionel O-Gauge track systems- which include O, O-27, and FasTrack® - all measure 1-¼” between the outer rails. Any O-Gauge car or locomotive can ride on Lionel O-Gauge track, as long as the curve track used on your layout can accommodate your particular cars. Lionel O-Gauge sets are electric sets that are approximately 1:48 scale and are what most people envision when the think about Lionel. O-Gauge is divided into two categories: Traditional O-Gauge and O Scale.
O-Gauge is divided into two categories: Traditional O-Gauge and O Scale.
- Based on classic Lionel designs
- Approximate scale proportions
- Easy to control lights, sounds, and smoke
- Very accessible products to customers
- Lionel’s popular Ready-to-Run sets are Traditional O-Gauge, and contain everything a customer needs to run their train in minutes – train set, oval of track, and, transformer.
- Lionel launched a new remote system for engines in 2012 under the LionChief™ umbrella. These are new sets with enhanced sound, long distance controls, AC/DC Compatible and are easy to set-up and operate
- To allow customers to continue to add product, Lionel sells specialty track products, rolling stock, and a wide range of operating and non-operating accessories
- Higher-end products
- Contain more details with many separately applied parts
- Engines have sophisticated electronics such as the Lionel LEGACY™ Control System and Lionel RailSounds®
- Larger than Traditional O-gauge products since they are more true to 1:48 scale proportions
- Geared towards collectors and sophisticated hobbyists